A believer's plea: enough with the hypocrisy

The hubby's asleep. The kids are asleep. I need to go to sleep too.

But before I do, I'm going to make another super long status update/blog post (yay multitasking!) motivated by some things that I have seen lately. I can't go to bed and not say anything. It just wouldn't be right.

This isn't a feel-good post. Because in it, I need to call out my "people." By people, I mean those who consider themselves to be people of faith, believers, etc.  I'm sure that there might be non-believers/agnostics/atheists who stumble across my blog because anyone is welcome to read.  However, this post, while not intended to exclude anyone, is intended to address those whom are perpetuating a certain problem,  so I am speaking directly to that community.  I cannot keep my mouth shut; silence implies approval.  Also, I know that among believers, there are tons of people for whom this does not apply at all, but there are others for whom the shoe fits perfectly.  I ask both to hear me out.

And I'll also preface this by saying that I know that I am far from perfect; I make more mistakes than I can count on a regular basis.  I forget things, I lose things, I drive too fast, my room is a mess, and I always seem to be running 15 minutes behind for everything. Etc. Etc.  But despite my many, many flaws, I still know wrong when I see it. And it is WRONG to use FAITH to excuse DISCRIMINATION.

It is not only wrong, I'll be bold enough to say IT IS A SIN.  Religion that cloaks itself with hatred is no longer religion.  It's an agenda.  You do NOT get to say you follow a fair and loving God and in the next breath condone practices that are neither fair nor loving to others. Uh uh. You don't. You just don't.

You can disagree with someone or with something.  That is your right.  And while people may not like your way of seeing things, you are entitled to that feeling. But is it NOT within your right to advocate for what is WRONG simply because you disagree with the way someone else lives.  NOT if you call yourself a believer.

I am so saddened and so disgusted by the hypocrisy I am seeing by people who profess to "follow God." I have one question for you: what God are YOU following that would be pleased with your actions? Please name that God for me.  Because I am a believer. I am proud to be one. And if you claim to be one as well and say God condones your hatred, then I do not know this God of whom you speak.

If you want to hate, don't be such a freaking coward. Don't hide behind a belief system. Just be real with yourself.  No need to "front." Let your hate flag fly high.

Just keep MY Lord's name out of it.

I don't know who sings the Christian contemporary song this excerpt comes from, but it seems fitting: "Jesus, friend of sinners. Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers. Let our hearts be led by mercy. Help us reach with open arms and open doors. Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks yours."

I need my believers (Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc) to rise up. Speak up in your study groups, in your circle of friends, at work.  Not like this; this post is a rant. Coming at people in this way will put them on the defensive and you won't have an opportunity to connect with them and share your feelings.  Speak instead to them in a way that speaks to their hearts so that they can understand. We are in a position where we might be heard where others won't.  That is a great responsibility and we should utilize it effectively.

We can gently but assertively point out the flawed judgment that would lead one to thinking that there's a valid reason to treat others indecently. We won't get through to everyone, but we can sway some  people. We are not alone in feeling uneasy about this; many others do too. But they aren't aware that they aren't alone.  It's not an easy thing to do, to oppose "big name" so-called "believers" who are endorsing actions that are discriminatory, unjust, ungodly, and hateful.  It's hard to know what to say, what to do, when to begin.

Let's show them.


Comments

Popular Posts