The Hypocrisy of "I Stand Sunday"

This whole situation annoys me so much that I actually wasn't going to even write any blog posts about it. I've vented about it on FB, but that was as far as it was going to go. But then a few minutes ago I saw a post online about #IStandSunday written by Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty.  (You know, the one who has made cruel and bigoted statements about marginalized groups, but professes to be a Christian.) And the hypocrisy of it all was so annoying that I penned my second letter to him. I haven't sent it via snail mail yet (only posted it on his FB page), but in the interim there is a copy of it.

In it, I ask him WWJD (what would Jesus do)?  I know that He would not condone this. He wouldn't say #IStandSunday should be used as a vehicle for hatred and deprivation of human dignity.

"Dear Mr. Robertson,

I am saddened that you are coming to MY city for #IStandSunday as a "Christian" speaker when you have publicly denigrated people of color, people living with HIV, and the LGBTQ community.  I am a Christian and do not condone hate speech nor discrimination.

When people who have said the hurtful things that you have said about others are perceived by the public to be the face and voice of the body of Christ, no one wins. Jesus demonstrated humility, love, and truth in His ministry.

I think that you need to take a good, long look at your own words and deeds and truly ponder the question, "What would Jesus do?"
Would He act the way that you have been acting, Mr. Robertson? Treat others with such disrespect and unkindness? State such hurtful things about them, such as calling them immoral and insinuating that they are being "punished" by God?

I am part of an HIV affected family, Mr. Robertson. Would you look in my children's eyes and tell them how "immoral" all of us are and that we are deserving of "God's punishment?"

If you are indeed a Christian, you and all of the people gathering with you should know that the way you are going about things is NOT pleasing to God, bringing all of this strife, division, and dissension to our city.  Over pieces of paper? Over unfounded fears? Really?

I'm praying for you. I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically. Praying hard."



Photo credit:ccclincoln

Comments

Popular Posts